Sunday, May 13, 2007

Origin

Please allow me this one “dear diary” moment. This whole thing started because I have a hard time sleeping. Mainly because I find it necessary to think through things when I should be writing them down. I've never been one for journals. As a writer this is a bad habit. I can’t count the number of stories/essays I formulated in my mind while my body would be better served in deep REM. It would be nice if I could launch such a high minded enterprise with something substantial. You know, like: Cormac McCarthy on Oprah (here), or Adam Garfinkle’s “Holiday Note” in the Nov/Dec issue ’06 issue of The American Interest on “The Madness of Jewcentricity” (here), or why Baron Davis has long been an unappreciated player in the NBA (no link for that, solely my own unsubstantiated opinion), possibly even why more people should listen to old school R&B or Nick Cave (again, all me). No, unfortunately it was the double “grindhouse” bill of Wolf Creek and Hostel that finally got me off my ass (eventually). Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Didn’t those movies come out, like, two years ago? And, hey isn’t there like a sequel to Hostel on the way?” To your first question: Yes. Yes, they did. And I’m still pissed. To your second question: Oh, God… no…please… It was an intense urge to pontificate on the evils of these two movies (and trust me, they operate on two separate evil planes) that I couldn’t shake. Once I learned I could make my opinions known for free, I got right to it (...two years later). The next two posts will deal specifically with those two films, and hopefully give you a sense of the kind of thing you can expect to read here. After that, I’m hoping I will have cleansed myself enough so that I can set about contributing absolutely nothing to society. See you then.

No comments: