Wednesday, June 20, 2007

In praise of things Scarlett! (Sarcastic)

Thank the Gods! Just in case you’ve been missing Scarlett Johansson and wondering what happened to her after Justin Timberlake ran her off the road for cheating on him (did anybody other than me find it peculiar that Justin went from “crying a river” , to driving a cheating girlfriend off the road in a fiery explosion? When, exactly, does that switch happen? How many relationships can your average pop star be in before they go crazy? Discuss). Thankfully, we can all relax now that we know Ms. Johansson is continuing her run of stellar career choices by considering a role in, wait for it… Monopoly: The Movie! See that was not a typo. I can’t say I’m surprised. If a Hollywood exec asked me what recognizable actress would agree to be in a movie based on Monopoly, I wouldn’t hesitate in suggesting Johansson, as she’s demonstrated a relentless ability to say yes to whatever suggestion might be on that paper before her vacant stare (like, for instance, a music video directed by the dude who directed John Q). If you doubt me, need I remind you that, since hitting legal age (thereby eliminating Ghost World from the list), Ms. Johansen has appeared in such crap gems as Scoop, The Black Dahlia, and The Island. It’s about time we all came to terms with the fact that all the good will she had staring opposite Bill Murray in Lost in Translation (because, let’s face it, it was his movie) is officially used up. I can’t think of a single good movie she’s been in. Wait... my imaginary assistant is insisting Johansson was in The Prestige, I'll have to remind him that the only important thing in that movie was whether Christian Bale or Hugh Jackman had the biggest penis—wait, my bad, I meant magic trick…silly me. But, man, I loved that movie! For the tricks, I swear… Moving on... (Ahem) You may think Johansson is a good actress, but that’s because anytime you’ve stopped to seriously consider it, she's deftly sought to pose (artfully!) nude in magazines like Esquire or Vanity Fair (classy—take that Meryl Streep!), while accepting meaningless awards like “sexiest female in the world” (it's good she has a sensible view of herself). Not quite the Oscar is it? But, seriously, where’s the talent? Heck, where’s the movie? Sure, I’m being catty, but, as a film fan, I’m frustrated as hell by the complete lack of female talent, especially seeing as how Hollywood and its publicists insist on force feeding me garbage. You can’t convince me that there aren’t actresses out there better than Johansson. I see better female acting in a single line from any one of the ladies on Deadwood (especially from Robin Weigert’s Calamity Jane, who practically brings me to tears every time she opens her mouth), than in the entirety of The Black Dahlia; and that was based on one of James Ellroy’s best novels, and he’s a guy who can actually write good dialogue. Can we please instead spend our time celebrating the good female actress trying to find work, women like Kate Winslet, Naomi Watts, Rachel Griffiths, Helen Mirren, and Cate Blanchett. Hmm, maybe that’s the problem. Half of the women on that list are from Australia. If you take Meryl Streep off the list (and I didn’t even include her, because, well, come on…), where are the American female actors? On television I guess. There is Rachel McAdams (see above Vanity Fair link for more), who I’d take her over Johansen if I wanted real acting in a heartbeat. Perhaps it’s a good thing Johansen is there to fill these crap roles, I don’t know what I would do if I saw any of the above mentioned actresses in Monopoly: The Movie. In short, I guess I should thank you Scarlett, for maintaining that long standing Hollywood tradition of force feeding the public talentless studio faces; and, as long as your bustline is prominently displayed, all must be right with the world because it sure as hell hasn’t changed much. So, remember the lips--keep them pouty! Here’s to hoping you keep the streak alive by making another non-impression in that famous American literary masterpiece, The Nanny Diaries. Bravo!

3 comments:

Maya said...

Since Sean invited us to discuss, here it is:
"A Few Observations on the Psychological Undertones of Justin Timberlake's Music Videos"

I would like to begin by stating that good ol' JT makes some of the hottest, sweatiest, sexiest music videos out there, however, one cannot overlook the somewhat disturbing undertones. If one listens to the lyrics of "Cry Me a River" one will get the sense that the song is about taking a healthy stance and moving on after a lover has wronged you:

"now theres just no chance
with you and me
there will never be
don't it make you sad about it "

However, there is, even in this earlier song, a strong note of karmic retribution:

"Girl I refuse
you must have me confused with some other guy
the bridges were burned
now its your turn,To cry"

This need to see justice served is fully realized in the video for "What goes around..." where a woman wrongs the every sexy JT and dies rather than cries.

Now, the trope of retribution, of wanting your lover to suffer as he/she has made you suffer, is common throughout literature and song, however, as Sean likes to point out, a fiery car crash seems a bit extreme. This scene, however, came as no surprise to me, as the video for "Cry Me a River" is equally insane.

A black car idles quietly as a blonde bimbo (we can all guess who that is) leaves her home with an unidentified male. Timberlake watches the blonde drive away and hops out of said black car, Timberland manning the driver's seat, and while the latter acts as lookout and offers back-up vocals the former (dressed in black clothes and wearing a black hoodie) breaks into the home, snoops around, props the front door open for a brunette to follow him inside, finds his ex's video camera has sex ON HER BED WITH THE WOMAN AND TAPES IT while looking creepily at the camera. Then he lets the brunette out so that when the blonde returns to the house he can follow her around, sniff her hair, and hide in a closet (word to R Kelly!) and watch her undress and get into the shower. Oh yeah. That's normal. Voyeurism, invasion, stalking? Made classy by JT. All of a sudden, the "tears" that the addressee of the song is crying are not necessarily ones of genuine regret. They are tears from an invasion of her private space and a video that in the real world would be interpreted by the law as a physical threat. So should we be surprised when Justin croons "what goes around comes back around" as he runs his lover off the road (the exact line, when the car becomes airborne, is especially poetic: "you got what you deserved" followed by a protracted silence as the car flips) and watches her die in the pre-dawn light before approaching ominously as the camera pulls out to view the flaming wreckage? Certainly not, Scarlett played with fire (those swinging hoops, which also return with a vengeance when her car crashes)and got seriously burned. Lesson Learned.

M- Filer said...

First of all...I just love everything by God & Jesus; talk about your headliners. And second of all..."Scoop" was excellent, and hats off to Woody for scooping up Scarlet for that role. She was perfect.

Nice blog Sean, although I don't think the page is as "purty" as a friend reported. Try hot pink with burgundy accents.

Sean said...

Thanks for the comments, m-filer. I obsess daily about the look of the blog but live with a pathological fear than the wrong click of the mouse will delete it all. You would think posting comments on the web would have forced me to become more web savy, or at least I would have learned how to do that thing where only the first part of a post shows. Sadly, this is not the case. Will accept any and all helpful pointers.