Monday, December 10, 2007

Best of: Music

The top five albums I bought in 2007:


1. Boxer by The National: A late edition to my music collection, but something that has dominated my headphones more than any other record all year. The first two-thirds are as perfect as anything I’ve heard in a long time. And while the last quarter of the album begins to fray around the edges, it still recalls Nick Cave-esque musings circa The Boatman’s Call—not necessarily a bad thing. And, although comparisons to Cave and Cohen are apt, when they’re really rocking, lead vocalist Matt Berninger sounds more like an older, grimmer, Richard Butler (Psychedelic Furs), only without the all the psychedelic. Two songs to hear: Seriously, the first seven are required…but if I had to pick two: “Mistaken for Strangers” and “Brainy”



2. Because of the Times by Kings of Leon: This Nashville Band of preacher boys are the closest contemporary thing to Lynyrd Skynyrd—you know, if Lynyrd Skynyrd didn’t, like, you know… suck. There’s music out there that takes me back to a time (Michael Jackson, Nirvana, Huey Lewis, etc.), but it’s not often an album takes me to a place: Knoxville, Northshore Drive and Kingston Pike, my mom’s 300Z—good times. Two songs to hear: “Black Thumbnail” and “Arizona


3. Datarock by Datarock: See my review here. The exact opposite of The National’s Boxer, which pretty much makes it the awesomnest party disk of the year. Two songs to hear: “See What I Care” and “Laurie”

4. Neon Bible by Arcade Fire: From the collapsed ashes: More band members! Even better music! The album Bruce Springsteen would have made if he were younger and hipper. Two songs to hear: “Antichrist Television Blues” and “No Cars Go”

5. The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter by Josh Ritter: See my review here. One of the few white male singer-songwriters who values metaphors rooted in concrete imagery without neglecting a good hook, as opposed to the usual solipsistic wank-offs. Why some of these songs haven’t blown up on the radio, I have no idea. Two songs to hear: “Open Doors” and “To the Dogs or Whoever”


Honorable Mention (in no particular order):
Arular by M.I.A., Because of You by Ne-Yo, Boys and Girls in America by The Hold Steady, Magic by Bruce Springsteen, Beauty & Crime by Suzanne Vega, Shock Value by Timbaland, The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance, Epiphany by T-Pain

6 comments:

flashpoint said...

I would have to say that Beirut's "The Flying club Cup" could crack that top 5. It's like exotic marching band music for the melancholy.

Sean said...

I am so addicted to I-Tunes at this point, consider it considered.

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

Sean said...

I have no idea what you said, but it sounds passionate...

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Thank you :) you should look at this emo boy one on this blog:
http://www.emo--boys.info