Sunday, September 16, 2007

Tennessee: 20, Florida: 59 (Ouch...)

Awful. Just plain misery. Take everything I said about the Cal game (here), subtract any optimism I may have had, and add: At least Eric Berry had a good game (well…with exception of that touchdown that was thrown just over his extended hand); and: Austin Rogers, instead of looking like Steve Largent, with his alligator arms and blatant chest-deflections at critical points during the game, looked like John "Hot Rod" Williams (just read it). Watching Tennessee fumble away another touchdown (like they did at Cal) after a momentum changing play; followed by Florida’s subsequent fumble and recovery on their own one-yard-line and a fifty-yard bomb on their first play from scrimmage, was like pouring salt on an open wound that has been festering for seventeen years—or, ever since Tennessee began playing Florida on a regular basis. Tim (Superman) Tebow’s completion to Percy Harvin was as much a result of two exceptional athletes making a great play, as it was another example of the by-their-finger-tip breaks that seem to always go Florida’s way. I’m resigned to the fact that Phillip Fulmer is not as good a coach as Urban Meyer (or Steve Spurrier… or Nick Saban), and I fully expected us to lose this game; but watching that a chain of events unfold, in the almost supernatural manner in which they did, was just another reminder that the only way Tennessee has a chance of beating Florida is if God has something else to do that day. Just awful. Go Vols…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's solid, but I think A Ghost is Born still stands as my favorite.

I think the new album is strongest through its first five tracks. I think they should not have cut "The Thanks I Get." And I got really burned out on "Walken," like, a year before they released the album because they played the shit out of that song live very early in the game.